If you are using Outlook 2016 and need to change your email settings from POP to IMAP, here is a visual step by step guide to help you.
Note that if you are a Business Class Email customer, you should always be using IMAP. It’s newer, and allows for multiple device syncing.
Here’s a visual guide to change from POP to IMAP in Outlook 2016 on a Mac.
There are 3 simple phases, each with a few simple steps – we’ve made it as visual as possible in case you want to skip the words ;-).
Backup Your Email Data (5 Simple Steps)
1. Find and open up Outlook on your computer.
2. In Outlook, select File, then click Export from the drop-down menu.
3. You’ll get a pop up window called Export to Archive File (.olm), Mail should be pre-selected, if not, select Mail and hit Continue button.
4. You’ll get a new pop up to Save Archive File (.olm) name your file (for example, My Skystra Mail Backup), select where you want to save it (for example, Desktop) then hit Save button.
5. Your Email Data Backup File is now saved to your computer folder, hit Finish button.
You’re all done Phase 1!
Delete POP email settings from Outlook (5 Simple Steps)
1. Head back to your Outlook, click Outlook from the Main Menu and then Preferences from the drop-down menu.
2. You’ll get a popup window called Outlook Preferences click Accounts.
3. On the Accounts popup, select your email account on the left-hand side then on the same side at the bottom click the minus sign (-) to delete your POP account.
4. A new popup will appear asking you if you are sure you want to delete your account, click Delete button.
You’re all done Phase 2!
Set Up IMAP Email on Outlook (5 Simple Steps)
1. Head back to Outlook and from the Main Menu select Tools then Accounts from the drop-down menu.
2. An Accounts popup window will appear click the big blue Add Email Account button.
3. On the Set Up Your Email window, put in your email address (for example, [email protected]) and hit the big blue Continue button.
4. On the Choose the Provider for window, select IMAP/POP.
At this point, Outlook will retrieve your email settings automatically, if your details load up, click Add Account and you’re done!
If your details don’t automatically load up, you can put them in manually on the IMAP/POP window as shown on Step 5 below.
5. On the IMAP/POP window fill in the following details then click Add Account button.
Type: There is a dropdown here, select IMAP
Email Address: Your full email address, for example, [email protected]
Password: The password you set for your email address
User Name: Your email account’s user name, often the same as your email address, for example, [email protected]
Incoming Mail Server: The incoming mail server address Skystra provided you, type in 993 under Port, and check Use SSL to connect (recommended)
Outgoing Mail Server: The outgoing mail server address Skystra provided you & type in 587 under Port, and check Use SSL to connect (recommended)
*Note: mail.skystra.com is only for screenshot purposes, please use the incoming & outgoing mail server addresses Skystra provided you 🙂
Your account will load up into Outlook and you’re done :-)!
Remember the POP email data you saved? Want to restore it? No problem! Go to Extra Phase to Reload Email Data (4 Simple Steps) below.
Extra Phase to Reload Email Data (4 Simple Steps)
1. Head back to Outlook, go to the Main Menu and click File then Import from the drop-down menu.
2. On the Import popup window, select Outlook for Mac archive file (.olm) then hit Continue button.
3. Go to the Folder where you saved your email data .olm file, find it and select it, and hit Import.
4. Click Finish on the Import window & you’re done :-)! All of your saved email data is now loaded into Outlook.
There are quite a few steps involved in this process and we’ve done our best to make it as easy (and visual) as possible for you.